Vertical vs Horizontal sail (updated 5th Oct 2013)

Before i start, i recommend to use this map because it has accurate wind direction.



Actually i wrote about this in my friend's Blog before, but i decide to write it again here.
I also use reference from real life physics about sail which i found out that this game applied it too. And I also use some reference from another sailing ship game.
As you can see in the map they have 2 wind, that's because this game has 2 season. So don't blame the wind when you feel they hate you so much and always giving you headwind.

I got a lecture from my friend about how sails work. So I dig more about sails using google off course :P. I hope this update give more accurate info.

Vertical Sail
I bet everyone say vertical is good against headwind, i would say no, vertical sail also loosing speed with headwind, but not as bad as horizontal sail. I prefer to say, vertical sail is really good with side wind. This picture will explain bout it.


Horizontal Sail
Does Horizontal sail good with tailwind, the answer still no, but it really good with tailwind coming from side. Confused? Me too... My English not very good to explain it, so I hope this picture will.


Vertical Sail + Horizontal Sail
Well, all ships in this game has both. Lets combine those picture into one, the result will be like this.


I remember I have seen in japan wiki about how this sail works, they have percentage depends on wind directions. This percentage effect will give various effect to vertical and horizontal.

Now with this knowledge I have, I always read the map before I set sail. I decide which route I should use and get the most of the wind along the way and use horizontal+ on my special equipment. Sometime I had bad routes that I can't avoid headwind. When I have trouble like this, I change my special equipment with vertical+.

I hope this unofficial trick will help you sail at best.

No comments:

Post a Comment